GOALS FOR 2013

10 PULL UPS
21 something 5K
1:55 HALF MARATHON

Friday, October 26, 2012

Detroit Half Marathon Recap

The Detroit Half Marathon was SO. MUCH. FUN.!!!  I think there were 13 of us that ran.  We met in Detroit on Saturday and went to the expo.  I finally bought a marathon stick!  I Love it!  I'd been using my pampered chef rolling pin but this is even better.  
 Above is Jeannell and I.  This was the sign we made for our room.  It says No Down Dog Zone, lol!  It was kind of a private joke we had going on within the group.
 This is some of us at the expo.  Everyone in this picture except me was getting ready to do their first 1/2 marathon.  There was so much nervous excitement going around, it was awesome!
We had reservations at an Italian restaurant that was in the hotel.  I had Lasagna!  The picture looks kind of gross, but it was really good.

Later that night we made sure to all lay on our backs with our feet up in the air for 15 minutes!  I tell you what, that seems to help me so much!  It is supposed to help with lactic acid build up during your run.  Maybe it's just mental, but it really helps me!

The morning of the race was perfect.  The weather was so good that day.  Running the bridge right at sunset is amazing!  I spent the first 3 miles just giving God thanks and praising him for my health, friends and the beauty He has given us all around!

Anyway, the important stuff, I missed a PR by NINE seconds!!!!  I was bummed about that, but I beat my time from last month and this was a much tougher course.  My time was 1:59:33.  I have ran 5 1/2 marathons now and 4 of them have been in 1:59 something!  I want so badly to break that!  A big part of it will be to lose some weight.  I have a hunch that if I can get down 20 pounds that I could probably run a 1:55 1/2 marathon!  That has always been my ultimate goal!  

On a sadder note, my husbands Grandpa passed away Sunday evening.  His Dad flew in from Arizona that afternoon and they decided to take him off the ventilator.  He never even took a breath on his own. So this week we had the visitation and the funeral was yesterday.  Grandma is at peace, we know without a doubt that we will see him again someday.  It is still hard though, they were married 62 years, so I'm just praying that God will give her the strength she needs to get through everyday.  The message at the funeral was very positive and the gospel was given!  

I started dieting on Monday.  Now that the race is over, diet will be my top priority.  I don't have to worry about energy levels and performance.  I am counting my calories and eating as clean and healthy as I can.  I'm teaching 3 yoga classes a week, 1 circuit class and I'm going to start lifting regularly again.  I would like to start focusing on the goals that I've had forever:  

10 Pull Ups
21 something 5K
1:55 half marathon
Weight between 129-133

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the half!!! You were so close to a PR! I like your post race plans...man are you busy.

    Abby, thanks so much for praying for me! He was listening, and Jon's grandma is going to be going home next week (we think). I am sorry for your loss though- and will pray that Your husband's Grandma can find joy & comfort. It is so hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic on the half... so awesome!!! I'm sorry to hear about your husband's grandpa - Prayers for comfort for all! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete